- 2014 Recipient of AKA Sorority – Gamma Psi Omega Community Partner Award
- Donates over 40,000 books community-wide annually.
- Supports Methodist Hospitals' Health Fair ... provides free age appropriate books for children 0 months to 5 years promoting "Reading is the Best Medicine"
- Donated 400 Spanish Language books to Guatemala as a Methodist Hospitals donation (value of over $4000)
- Sponsored "Reading is the Best Medicine" Book Give-A-Way Days for employees at both Methodist Hospitals campuses
- Collaborated with IUN and Books-2-Bridge the Region in sponsoring "An Evening with Tuskegee Airmen" educating the community on the contributions of this military unit ... taken from Hart's War by John Katzenbach
- Promotes general literacy, health literacy and financial literacy
- Manages and implements Reach Out and Read-Gary, (putting age appropriate books into the hands of parents and children via pediatric providers)
- Provides books to low-income families in the Gary community encouraging reading in the home
- Hosts partner meetings to provide a resource for sharing best practices and literacy information
- Publishes GLC's annual "Summer Connections" Brochure to direct parents and children to available summer programs
- Sponsors Book Club Extravaganza (Families experience the joy of reading a good book)
- Collaborated with Time Out for Reading (Community focused reading promotion throughout Northwest Indiana)
- Sponsors Authors' Row (GLC hosts local authors in promoting reading)
- Sponsors Dr. Seuss Celebration (Kindergarten and first grade students across the city of Gary hear Dr. Seuss stories; classes receive books)
- Sponsors Financial Literacy Day (Family literacy forum)
- Sponsors Gary Literacy Day (Citizens gain an understanding of the diversity of literacy services)
- Sponsors "Learning Partner" Gender Academy Mentoring Project (Elementary school-based mentoring program)
- Supports Project R.E.A.D. - Reading Early Accelerates Development - Methodist Hospitals Auxiliary (Provides books and literacy materials for mothers of newborns as well as pediatric patients)
- Provides "Literacy Connection" (connects real people with real literacy support)
- Sponsors Kindergarten Read-Aloud (exclusively geared toward entering kindergarteners and parents)
- Sponsored first opportunity for students to speak directly to astronauts aboard International Space Station & NASA ARISS (National Aeronautics & Space Administration-Amateur Radio on the International Space Station)
- Sponsored "Season's Readings" Project... "Reading is the Best Gift"; Distributed special edition of James Patterson's "Santa Kid" to second grade students; volunteer Santas distributed copies of "Phineas & Ferb: O Christmas Tree" by Scott Peterson to first grade students
- Sponsored "Beveridge Bookmarkers", a specific incentivized reading support project created especially for third grade students enrolled in Beveridge Elementary School.
- Sponsored Summer "Book Opp" ... public book give-away at GLC Office site.
- Supports numerous community organizations with book donations to the public.
- Recipient of 2013 American Association of School Librarians Commendation Award
- Member of NWI Society of Innovators
- Received the Center of Workforce Innovations "Discoveries" Award: Raise the Region Through Literacy Awareness-2004
- Featured on CNN Comcast Newsmakers Segment 2006, 2007
- Received the 2006 National Reach Out and Read Richard Robinson Award for Excellence
- Recognized by the Gary Community School Corporation for Reading Chairs on Parade support 2008
- Recognized by the Gary Common Council for Outstanding Community Outreach focused on improving literacy 2007